In 1929, the citizens of Lewis County decided they needed a local hospital. In 1930, the County of Lewis purchased the land for a county hospital on the top of a hill leading into town. The cost of the land was $4,500. In 1930, the construction of the hospital began. Seven months later, in August 1931, the construction phase ended and a brand new healthcare facility opened its doors to a grateful community.
It was a sturdy building built of solid brick with six towering white posts marking the main entrance. Today, 80 years later, the main campus encompasses 14.5 acres and offers over 220,000 square feet of floor space dedicated to the provision of high quality healthcare to the residents of the tri-county area. The facility, including the nursing home, employs over 600 people and offers medical services and programs usually only found in bigger hospitals located in major metropolitan areas. In order to ensure easy access, the facility also operates three off-site health centers staffed by physicians employed by the hospital. These sites, located in Beaver Falls, Copenhagen and Lyons Falls, help to bring the skills of the staff and the modern technology of the facility directly to the local communities. A fourth hospital-owned center is located on the main campus in Lowville. The Women's Health Center offers Board Certified Obstetrical and Gynecological physicians providing a comprehensive program of women's health services. It is staffed by two physicians and an Adult Nurse Practitioner who are currently accepting new patients.
The hospital recently remodeled and enlarged the Diagnostic Imaging Department. The cornerstone of the new center is the first and only Digital Mammography Unit in the North Country. We are proud of offering some of the latest technology available in the ongoing fight against breast cancer. The next step in our goal of improving and expanding services to the community was the ever busy Emergency Department. They currently see over 10,000 patients a year. It was recently remodeled, modernized, and enlarged to increase capacity while improving quality and service.
With over 100 professional health care providers in various specialties, Lewis County General is quickly growing to better serve the community. The future is bright for the facility because of our highly skilled physicians, the dedicated staff, the support of the community, and an administration that looks toward the future with a positive plan of growth and modernization. Lewis County General Hospital truly lives up to its slogan, 'We Treat You Like Family.’ For information about the programs and services offered at Lewis County General please click on 'Programs' on the top of this page. If you have questions concerning any program or service please contact Christina Flint at (315) 376-5001 or by email at email@example.com.
At Lewis County General Hospital, QUALITY is: Working together to exceed expectations by providing friendly, compassionate, efficient and competent care and services.
Lewis County General Hospital, a rural healthcare facility, provides leadership in the provision of health and human services for the residents and visitors of the County of Lewis and surrounding areas.
- We recognize the worth and dignity of all individuals and their rights to have access to these services.
- We provide, promote, facilitate and continuously improve:
primary acute and ambulatory care services
residential healthcare services
short and long term services for the disabled and elderly
wide range of diagnostic and rehabilitative patient services
comprehensive access to other appropriate patient services
health promotion through community education, preventative medicine and quality healthcare
- We manage our resources to ensure long term financial viability.
- We foster an environment which encourages personal, professional and organizational growth.
- We enhance the market position of the hospital through a continous planning process, enabling the hospital to anticipate and influence its future.